The basic answer to that question would be not really. I haven’t fully embraced hops yet although I have tried making a hoppy beer in the past. The American Pale Ale from last week was pretty hoppy so we’ll see how this one turns out. I like bitterness but I think getting the balance right in an IPA is so important. Easy to make an IPA but difficult to know it out the park. So let’s see where this one lands.
|3.00 kg||Pale Ale Malt (Muntons) (3.2 SRM)||Grain||1||54.5 %|
|2.00 kg||Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM)||Grain||2||36.4 %|
|0.50 kg||Crystal Light 110 (55.8 SRM)||Grain||3||9.1 %|
|30.00 g||Cascade [5.50 %] – Boil 30.0 min||Hop||4||16.4 IBUs|
|15.00 g||Citra [12.00 %] – Boil 30.0 min||Hop||5||17.8 IBUs|
|15.00 g||Cascade [5.50 %] – Boil 15.0 min||Hop||6||5.3 IBUs|
|15.00 g||Citra [12.00 %] – Boil 15.0 min||Hop||7||11.5 IBUs|
- [18:00] Filled pot with 25 liters of water and added
- 2T of Lactic acid
- 1t Citric Acid
- 1 Campden tablet
- [18:06]Waited till temp came down to 74℃ and then poured into mash tun along with grains
- Temperature 73℃
- 5.7 pH
- [19:45] Mashed out after 90 minutes and started the to bring to a boil
- Temperature 68℃
- 5.8 pH
- 21.5 liters – I had to add 3.5 liters to get up to the volume.
- Pre-boil gravity 1.048 SG – The additional water threw off my target pre-boil gravity.
- [20:15] 60 minute boil with hop additions
- 30 minutes: 30g Cascade + 15g Citra
- 15 minutes: 15g Cascade + 15g Citra
- 15 minutes: Irish Moss
- [21:20] Removed from heat and cooled using 1.5 liter frozen plastic soda bottles.
- [22:30] Temperature 45℃ and pitched Rogue IPA Dreggs and 1t Yeast Nutrient
- Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
- 5.5 pH
- 24/03/16: 19 liters of wort into Better Bottle
- 18 liters wort
- 1.2 liters of starter
- My efficiency is a bit up and down. The water coming out of the mash was 3 liters short. So there was a huge uptake of water by the grain. I’ll have to look at pouring 5 liters through to act as a sparge to get some extra sugar off.
- I need to sort out my cooling system. I have a source for ice so need to simply use it. Instead of the bottles. I’m sure eventually this is going to bite me in the arse.