Solera #2


My new found interest in yeast has led me down trying to harvest dregs from bottles and then try and brew a batch of said beer from them. My IPA experiment didn’t really go that well, as the batch stalled at around 1.018. Needless to say the lessons were not learnt and this batch also stalled although here I did a few mistakes along the way. Firstly I did not use the tinfoil trick. Here you use a piece of tinfoil instead of an airlock and the pressure does not build up apparently. I tried this with the next batch of Saison and it really blasted though the sugar. The other stupid mistake I did was putting it into the fridge to larger as I had read up about and what they do for dubbels. Well this shocked the yeast even more. My pitching temperature I have learnt is also too high and might be causing me issues with unwanted flavors. Again starting to learn about yeast has really opened my eye’s a bit. In the end I turned this into my second vessel in the solera system I’m getting up and running and pitched some of the house blend into it and will use it as my solera. 

Type: Belgian Dubbel (26 B)
Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 16.6 IBUs
Est Color: 9.7 SRM

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
26.57 ml Phosphoric Acid 10% (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1
14.79 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2
4.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 57.1 %
2.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Muntons) (3.2 SRM) Grain 4 28.6 %
0.50 kg Crystal Light 110 (55.8 SRM) Grain 5 7.1 %
0.50 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 6 7.1 %
20.00 g Saaz [3.30 %] – Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 7.0 IBUs
20.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] – Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.5 IBUs
1.06 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9
20.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] – Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Gulden Draak (Dregs #) Yeast 11

Malt Process

  1.  [19:01] Filled pot with 28 liters of water and added
    • 1T of Lactic acid 88%
    • 1T Phosphoric Acid 10%
    • 1 Campden tablet
  2. [19:13] Waited till temp came down to 70℃ and then poured into mash tun along with grains
    • Temperature 68℃
    • ??? pH – pH meter is broken
  3. [20:40] Mashed out after 90 minutes and started the to bring to a boil
    • Temperature 64℃
    • ??? pH – pH meter is broken
    • 24 liters 
    • Pre-boil gravity 1.056 SG – was supposed to be 1.064, again I was 8 points off
  4. [21:30] 60 minute boil with hop additions
    • 60 minutes: 20g Saaz
    • 30 minutes: 20g Saaz + 500g Candi Sugar
    • 10 minutes: 20g Saaz + Irish Moss, 5 Cloves, 5g Star Anise
  5. [22:36] Removed from heat and cooled overnight as I was pretty buggered
  6. [06:56] Temperature 27℃ and pitched Gulden Draak starter from dregs
    • Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
    • ?? pH – pH meter is broken

Fermentation

  • 28/04/16: 18 liters of wort into Better Bottle
    • 17.5 liters wort
    • 0.5 liters starter

Notes

  • My efficiency issues with the brew in the bag are still a concern to me. a finer grind I think will help.

Updates

  • 31/05/16: After seeing that the gravity was still at 1.027 I transferred to a 5 gallon plastic fermentor and added some US-05
  • 16/06/16: Checked the gravity again and it wasn’t dropping to anything reasonable, 1.017. The beer also had a bit of a flavor issue. Not anything terrible but a sort of chemical off taste. I had some APA#017a that was three month’s in and only 5 liters so used that as a starter along with a bit of the house culture. Not the best way to start a sour beer but I have not had time with the new born around so called it a day and turned it into the second solera.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *